- This event has passed.
Mayo Clinic Sleep Medicine Update
This course offers Live (in-person) and Livestream attendance options
May 1 – 5, 2023 – Hilton Waikoloa Village – Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
The Mayo Clinic Sleep Medicine Update course is conducted by Mayo Clinic sleep researchers and clinicians. This course reviews the latest advances in practice and research using case-based scenarios enriched with personal clinical experiences. The course is designed to provide attendees with a comprehensive review of sleep disorders and practical steps to enhance clinical skills and practice.
- Expert faculty discuss the multidisciplinary approach to the practice of sleep medicine for best patient outcomes
- Clinical course geared toward increasing clinical knowledge and improving sleep health
- Comprehensive review of all aspects of the sleep encounter for the clinician
- Updates on the latest practice guidelines for diagnostics and therapeutics from leaders in the field of sleep medicine
- Interactive case-based presentations with audience participation questions
- Small group breakout sessions including hands-on opportunities with sleep medicine devices and technology
- In-person networking opportunities:
- Breakfast roundtable discussions with faculty, Tuesday-Friday
- Wednesday evening social reception
- Thursday afternoon yoga and meditation session on the beach
- Access to course recordings for one year
This course is relevant for sleep medicine specialists including MDs, DOs, nurse practitioners and physician assistants, internists and family medicine specialists, pediatric sleep medicine practitioners and general pediatricians, ENT specialists with interest in sleep apnea, psychiatrists with interest in insomnia, neurologists with interest in sleep associated neurological diagnoses and sleep administrators and practice managers.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Review pathophysiology of common sleep disorders in the adult and pediatric population
- Recognize new devices and technological advances used in the diagnosis of sleep disorders
- Identify pharmacotherapy of common sleep disorders including restless leg syndrome and insomnia
- Recognize circadian rhythm disorders and determine appropriate management
- Review established treatments for sleep disordered breathing
- Recognize the use of data generated from consumer wearables
- Identify behavioral therapies in the management of insomnia
- Compare commonly available non-invasive ventilatory devices
- Examine the role of the sleep dentist and ENT surgeon in the management of sleep disorders
- Define management of REM sleep behavior disorder and other parasomnias
- Recognize the association of sleep disorders and neurocognitive syndromes
Attendance at any Mayo Clinic course does not indicate or guarantee competence or proficiency in the skills, knowledge or performance of any care or procedure(s) which may be discussed or taught in this course.