- This event has passed.
14th Interventional Pulmonology In Cancer Patients/Intensive Hands-on Course
Thursday, February 23, 2023, 7:00 AM – Friday, February 24, 2023, 4:45 PM, MD Anderson – Mitchell Building, Houston, TX
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ (14.25 hours), Non-Physician Attendance (14.25 hours), ABIM MOC Part 2 (14.25 hours)
The activity is designed to review the current concepts and recent advances in interventional pulmonology as it pertains to the cancer patient, and to introduce new technologic advances that are poised to revolutionize the diagnosis, staging, and management of lung cancer. Malignancies involving the lungs continue to provide a significant challenge to chest physicians. With the exponential increase in technology, several minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic strategies are becoming feasible. As the largest cancer center in the world, MD Anderson is able to offer a depth and breadth of clinical experience and training that few can match. With a distinguished faculty made up of the world’s top experts, this course is designed to provide the participant with a state-of-the-art review of the principles and practice of interventional pulmonology in patients with thoracic malignancies. In addition to attending interactive didactic sessions, participants will also receive extensive practical instruction in selected techniques utilizing in vivo animal models. Instruction group size is limited in order to maximize interaction and individual “hot zone” time. Additional instruction can be individualized for those wishing to emphasize particular techniques. Endobronchial Ultrasound techniques will be particularly stressed, and participants should be able to acquire the cognitive and technical skills to safely perform Endobronchial Ultrasound guided transbronchial needle biopsies upon course completion.
- Utilize appropriate lung cancer screening techniques according to national guidelines and standards.
- Assimilate the therapeutic options for management of airway tumors.
- Interpret the available evidence for adjunctive therapies in the palliative and curative management of lung cancer.
- Utilize the principles of evidence-based medicine in evaluating new technologies.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration on a porcine model.
- Perform endobronchial stenting on a porcine model.
- Incorporate evidence based best practices for the management of recurrent malignant pleural effusions.
The 14th Interventional Pulmonology in Cancer Patients Hands-On Course, will begin at 8:00 AM on Thursday, February 23, 2023 and the course will conclude at 4:30 PM, Friday, February 24, 2023. Advanced registration is required as space is limited. Please see registration applicable fees listed below.
Roberto F. Casal, MD
George A. Eapen, MD
David Rice, MD